Wednesday, June 4, 2008

There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home...

Ok, imagine my saying that and clicking my heals together..... This week I am in Cincinnati area and it has been adventuresome to say the least. Yesterday at about 3pm, I was getting ready to leave the school I was at in Kentucky (just south of Cinci), when the director and I heard the "weather sirens". The Owners had just left to do a bus run. The alert was a TORNADO WARNING!! The sky was very dark and the storm was fierce. We got the children into the safe places and we then spent the next 40 minutes keeping children calm, answering the phones ringing off the hook with concerned parents calling, heating bottles for infants who were all in two cribs in the kitchen. It was a surreal experience, but we got through it with no issues and no tornado....... cut to 7:30 that night. I am now in a town just north of Cinci and the t.v. weather man cuts in with TORNADO WARNINGS!! This time, the bad weather lasted for 4 hours, with the warning actually called until 3AM!! You know it is bad when the front desk of the hotel calls to tell you where the safe places are. My question to her was.... "What county am I in??" because all the warnings were for counties, not towns. Picture me with the constant stream of details on the t.v. for four hours and map quest up on my computer to get my bearings! At 9:15 it seemed bad enough to think about leaving the room. I got dressed, put the essentials in my purse (just in case!) and I joined other hotel guests in the lobby watching coverage and deciding when/if we needed to get in the stairwell, until about 10:40pm, when the worst had seemed to pass. Not much sleep last night to say the least.......... Where are the Ruby Slippers when you need them???

No comments: